Portrait in Parts - Portrait Shuffle inspiration.

It's not too late to join the Portrait Shuffle and be part of the exciting exhibition at the Festival of Quilts in August 2017. After the exhibition, the portraits will be shuffled and you'll get someone else's work to keep. Nip over to the blog www.portraitshuffle.blogspot.com and see what others have been making. A lot of the artists at TOH have been taking part, so you may be lucky and get work by Linda and Laura Kemshall, Eszter Bornemisza, Mirjam Pet-Jacobs, Bethan Ash...the list is quite long!

Anyway......

For this portrait I'm starting off by using some stencils and stamps to make a background. I especially like the stencil with the jumbled letters and numbers you can see below all the others. There is also some acrylic paint, disposable palette papers, and sponge rollers.


I used the first colour paint over the stencil (left hand side) which leaves some of the white surface of the canvas showing. I then flipped the stencil and used black paint on the remaining bit of canvas. I continued to flip and apply paint.


Time for a few stamp impressions.



I now have a background on the canvas - I may need to over paint to make it more black later.


Next step, is to make a similar effect on some card which I'm going to cut up into labels.


 Cutting up the cardboard prints (which have been backed with black card)


Using a bradawl to make a hole.


Threading with my chosen thread, and attaching to the painted canvas.


 Adding more. They hang loose from the top. When happy I'll fix them permanently with a staple gun and hide it all under a piece of fabric or similar.

 Showing the reverse of my tags. There's nothing on them yet, but I shall fill with sketches/paintings etc of eyes, noses, mouths, ears - whatever takes my fancy!! A portrait in parts.


Comments

Popular Posts